[RP TownTalk] Calendars Available (& info on Grants)

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 22:01:22 UTC 2013

Good afternoon everyone!

We hope you had a great holiday season and a wonderful New Year! Uh, oh - did you forget it is 2013?  Get a new calendar!  Thats right, your friends from Maryland Milestones have a calendar for you!  (Or at least 4500 of you...) Its filled with pictures from around the region - from Bladensburg Waterfront Park to Patuxent Wildlife Refuge.  From art to nature to historic sites, its a great 2013 calendar - and many of the photos were from local residents who submitted to our photo contest.  Convienently, the 2013 photo contest application is available IN the calendar even before its available online!

You can pick up these calendars from town halls (we have dropped off boxes to most of them today) and from the libraries (boxes are to be distributed this week) as well as from a few local friends like Joe's Movement Emporium.  You can also call us or email us directly for a few.  A box is located in the front hall of Hyattsville City Hall and we will check on that one regularly.

Meanwhile, a few other tantalizing bits.

1) The Maryland Heritage Areas Authority has released its 2014 grant cycle.  That means if you have a project that supports art, history, or nature and has an ability to attract more tourism your non-profit or municipal agency might qualify.  Feel free to contact me for questions.  We will be holding grant information meetings as well as a grant workshop.  The information meetings are being set up now, but the grant workshop is planned for January 24 from 10-2pm at Greenbelt Community Center.  Email me if you would like to participate as we have limited space.  The program will cover the MHAA grant, its basic details, and discussion some tips and tricks for getting the most of of grants generally.  It is not a grant writing class, but a brush up for those with some knowledge of grants. The MHAA grants and instructions can be found:
http://mht.maryland.gov/documents/Word/Grants_MHAA_Project_Application_2014.doc
http://mht.maryland.gov/documents/PDF/Grants_MHAA_Project_Instructions_2014.pdf
2) We have submitted to Apple App Store our new mobile app. When it is available, we hope you consider downloading it for use around the region.  We will release an android based app shortly after that.

3) We have new brochures available about the Heritage Area.  If you have a place to put a few, we would love to distribute them.  More driving tours will be coming soon and we will be trying to update our website with this information in the coming days.

Thanks as always,

Aaron Marcavitch
Executive Director
Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.