[RP TownTalk] URGENT loose pit bull reply2

Amy Rogers amyrogers1 at live.com
Fri Jan 11 18:12:12 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew:

Do you have description of the loose dog that approached you while you were walking your pups?  Some neighbors and I would like to put up some "FOUND" flyers in order to help reunite this pet with his/her family. I agree with other posters that it is incredibly irresponsible to allow dogs to roam off leash, but I'm hoping this dog got loose on accident and has a family looking for it. A lot of people don't know to search the local shelters for a lost pet and many animals at the shelter will remain unclaimed by their families. I work for DC Animal Control at a nearby shelter, and I'd be happy to search through our lost reports to see if there are any possible matches to the dog you found. Could you tell me what this dog looks like, its physical condition, and if it was wearing a collar?

I'm glad everyone is safe- loose dogs that approach people and pets can easily give us a scare! It's important to remember that most dogs are not "dangerous animals" (although all roaming dogs are potentially risky) and that the risk of being attacked or bitten by a strange dog is incredibly rare. I'm glad the dog seemed to have a reliable recall (redirecting its attention and coming when called by a stranger), was confident and social enough to approach new people and animals, and allowed a town official (likely with little or no training in animal rescue) to safely confine it. I wish all of our calls for assistance at the animal control department had such a positive outcome! Thanks to those who acted to humanely confine the animal in order to protect the dog and the safety of others.

If this animal approached you in an aggressive manner, with teeth bared, snarling, and biting, it might be useful to alert PG animal control so they can use this information to assess the dog's adoption potential (or lack thereof). If this dog inflicted a bite or was bitten by one of your dogs, it's important to report this to animal control so that the animals involved can be quarantined for observation for symptoms of rabies. Sounds like that's not the case, luckily.

Stay warm (and safe) out there, and happy dog walking!

Amy