[RP TownTalk] URGENT loose pit bull

Amy Rogers amyrogers1 at live.com
Fri Jan 11 23:39:50 UTC 2013

 Hi Jeffery,

I'm sorry
you weren't able to read further than the beginning of my post and take into
consideration the facts and suggestions I made available. I hope you are able
to take the time to consider the points I introduced. I address issues such as
"open mindedness," and the role of the news media, both of which I
imagine you would find interesting and relevant. If you have the time, I would
love to continue to discuss this issue. My only requirement for discussion is
that we all are made aware of the same factual evidence that describes the
nature of the issue. If some of us are misinformed, it does us no good to
argue. So, again, I hope you continue to read past the phrase "embarrassing
pit bull ban." Perhaps "embarrassing" is an emotionally charged
word, but I strongly believe that a policy put in place as a knee-jerk reaction
to dog bite incidents but does not adequately protect the public from dog bites
is embarrassing. Any legislation that is based on emotional reactions instead
of facts, that wastes taxpayer money, and is not effective is embarrassing to
me. Your position as a member of the news media is unique and important to this
discussion, so again, I hope you remain open minded enough to participate in
the exchange of ideas. Specifically, I think you would really enjoy the book "The Pit Bull Placebo" by Karen Delise. It is available for free download online. It is an account of the history of our relationships with dogs and the media's relationship with reporting dog aggression, adressing issues such as bite statistics, media reporting of bite incidents, and the media's influence on the image of breeds of dogs throughout history. It's a great read not nearly as depressing as the subject matter would make it seem.

To answer
your question, yes, I have spoken with victims of dog bites, including parents
whose children have been bitten by dogs. Investigating dog bite reports and
performing dangerous dog investigations is an important part of my job as an
animal control officer. You’re correct in pointing out that it is an emotionally
charged issue and victims deserve recognition and respect. I’ve not yet seen
one case in which a previously stable family dog inflicted serious injury to a
member of the family or community. After a bite occurs, we respond to the human
suffering. But I find that in these cases, human and animal suffering have
defined the situation long before I arrive on scene. I work closely with the
police department and emergency room staff to obtain accurate information about
serious dog bites in order to provide the Department of Health with evidence
for dangerous dog hearings. As I mentioned in my previous email, initial bite
reports filed by victims and reported in the news media are often filled with
inaccuracies (from the circumstances surrounding the bite to the description of
the dog involved to the severity of injuries...). Unless I’m mistaken, the news
media rely on these initially flawed sources of information for news reports
and articles. You might be interested in hearing about two recent
well-publicized dog attack stories that spurred articles in local and national
news media:

Two dogs were
misidentified as pit bulls in our animal control department’s bite report. The
dogs were guard dogs used to deter theft from a fenced lot. The dogs escaped
the fence and attacked an adult man who sustained severe injuries, including
multiple punctures and tearing. The victim, observers of the incident, and newspaper
articles described these dogs as pit bulls. Our animal control officers and the
department of health also interviewed the victim and witnesses. The dogs were
impounded at our facility and were identified as purebred cane corsos (this
breed is a large mastiff breed, usually around or over 100 lbs). I am only
aware of one small local news source running a correction for the flawed
reporting of this story. These dogs did not attack a person because of their
breed. They were involved in an attack because they were deliberately
unsocialized and encouraged to be aggressive in order to serve as effective
guard dogs. They were both intact male dogs. They were in poor physical
condition as a result of neglect: they were both underweight, had small wounds
that were denied veterinary treatment, and had developed thick callused skin
where they were forced to lay on concrete without shelter in all types of
weather conditions. Animal control had investigated previous incidents
involving these dogs and had also investigated their welfare in response to
complaints about inhumane treatment, but unfortunately the laws on the books do
not adequately protect animals from abuse or humans from potentially dangerous
animals. This is embarrassing to me.

In another serious
bite incident, two dogs were running at large and chased a man and a child on
the street. The dogs were misidentified as pit bulls by the victim, witnesses,
and the news media. One of the victims escaped the attacking dogs by jumping up
onto a car. A security camera showed footage of the dogs jumping up at the car,
placing their paws on the hood of the car (I don’t know any pit bulls large enough
to stand taller than a car) in an attempt to reach the fleeing victim. These
dogs were later impounded and identified as two intact male purebred American bulldogs.
These dogs were often seen running at large in the neighborhood, perhaps
developing a pack mentality which encouraged the chase and grab behavior that
is natural in all dogs but discouraged/controlled by responsible owners. Several
news organizations ran this story with headlines claiming that “another” pit-bull
attack had occurred. I am not aware of any corrections made by the media. Our
bite reports were corrected to reflect the facts of the case, but unfortunately
the public remains unaware. These bite reports are available by means of
freedom of information act request by the public, but most of us get our
information from television and print news.

The purpose
of my discussion of this topic is to encourage members of our community to
examine any predudices we might have in order to treat our neighbors and the animals
in our community in a more compassionate, humane manner. Additionally, public
safety is important to all of us and although there is certainly no dog bite epidemic,
we would all expect our legislation to protect us from the rare vicious dog on
the loose. Based on my experience and research, I have found that
discriminating against one breed or type of dog, participating in the spread of
panic-inducing misinformation, and stereotyping our neighbors based on what
their pets look like is counterproductive to our goal of a humane and inclusive
community. I would encourage community members to contact their representatives
and show their support for breed neutral animal control laws that protect
public safety and protect animals from cruelty and harm.