[RP TownTalk] Dog Issue

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 12:06:04 UTC 2013

RE the pitbull debate; as I always say, ALL purebred dogs look/act the way they do for a reason.  These types of dogs were bred for guarding and fighting.  And yes, it's definitely possible to get pitbulls and similiar breeds which have been bred for good temperment and I've known people who've had such dogs.  But they paid out big bucks for those dogs and made sure the dogs had top-of-the-line training.  However, lots of people, esp. those who DO get these dogs because of their supposed 'bad' reputation don't usually invest that kind of time and money in their dogs.  Too, when any breed becomes popular, as these dogs are now, the puppy mills and low-end breeders go into overdrive.  They are NOT concerned about producing high quality animals, only in profits.  As a result, the market is flooded with highly unstable, unhealthy animals.   As an animal lover, I'm definitely NOT in favor ot taking someones' family pet, if the animal IS in a stable
 environment and doesn't have a history of vicious behavior.  Perhaps there should be stricter laws in place as to who can own pits, rottweilers, etc.? However, realistically I know that laws regarding the dogs are like any other laws; decent people who love animals and care for them will obey the laws.  Those people who live outside the law will go on breaking the laws they've always done.

(RE "PeeGee County" not being a politically correct term; nonsense.  I've lived here for most of my over-60 years and I will start saying "Prince Georges County" every time I refer to the County when everyone else starts saying "District of Columbia" all the time instead of "DeeCee." )