[RP TownTalk] Street by Ernie's Lock

Alan K. Thompson akthompson at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Fri Jan 18 02:27:25 UTC 2013

Dear Audrey,

We're limited as to what we can regulate on the roads.  We can certainly
put a sign up that says "Local Traffic Only" or "No Cut-through Traffic" or
"Business Traffic Only" but I suspect that every ticket written for someone
cutting through would be thrown out of court, and someone would
(eventually) take us to court over the practice.  If that worked, then
University Park wouldn't have the "Do Not Enter" signs on Sheridan and
Tuckerman to deter traffic that cuts through their neighborhood.

The attempts with the Jersey barriers (I think there were at least two
attempts, with different locations for the barriers and different sections
of W. Beale that were one way) suggest that this problem isn't easy to
solve.  The solution has to not annoy the customers of those businesses
(because even being annoyed, like the Jersey barriers, might make them go
elsewhere) while seriously deterring the cut-through drivers, and also
being something we can legally enforce.  If the "shared parking" proposal
that was going around as the bank was being approved had gone through, then
we could close the street and make people go through the parking lot (which
would slow down cut-through traffic enough to deter it, while not annoying
people who were going to be parking anyway) but that didn't happen (and
there might be some unintended consequences anyway).

In the short run, as I noted earlier, we can ask the police to enforce the
speed limit and other driving rules to at least make it passable.  We can
also use traffic logging resources we have to determine how much of a
problem it is, and what times of day there are problems, and see if there
are patterns in the data that suggest new solutions.  On a longer time
scale, I would suggest that we could consult with a traffic engineer about
ways we might achieve our goals. I'll discuss this with my honored
colleague from the First Ward, Jonathan Ebbeler, and see what thoughts he
has on the matter, since this street is in his ward.

Alan