[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 78, Issue 16

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 14:41:20 UTC 2013

Audrey, thanks for starting a great discussion. I wanted to say that I would oppose a "local traffic only" sign.  I strongly support Alan's suggestion of speed cameras/speed enforcement if the traffic there is unsafe.

For me this is actually a values/philosophy issue.  These roads were built by the taxes of all residents of the county and state. I believe they should remain accessible to anyone who wishes to travel them. I personally prefer to drive through University Park streets rather than on East West Highway, in part because I like to look at the trees. I drive slowly. I am 'cut through' traffic.  It is hard for me to understand the notion that people shouldn't be allowed to drive through those streets unless they live there or have business there. We all paid for it, so we should all be free to use it.  I get distressed with increasing 'privitization' of roads (there are several examples in University Park) where roads are closed and restricted seemingly to reduce traffic.  Reducing secondary routes only increases the pressure on primary routes.  I wouldn't want to support anything that does that.  (And I do think the recent improvements to the Rt. 1/EW
 intersection have made a great difference)

Where safety issues exist (speeding cars) I strongly support addressing it with enforcement and the minimum restrictions possible.  Where it is  an irritation/frustration (I think of the poor people who live along EW Highway in Takoma Park- what a nightmare it must be to try to back out of their driveways), I prefer that we see this is a consequence of living in a highly trafficked area.  And hopefully this prompts us to look at mass-transit and walkable solutions to relieve traffic.  (While no one asked, I would strongly support an increase in marked crosswalks and signs to remind folks that those in the crosswalk have the right of way.  I feel like our poor pedestrians in this area are often at risk, and would love to see measures to address that)

Thanks for raising an interesting question Audrey.
Kathy