[RP TownTalk] 410 pedestrian crosswalk, median near Beale Circle

Fred Holcomb fred.j.holcomb at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 12:52:00 UTC 2013

Since we're discussing road issues around town, I thought I throw in a few
of my own.

Is the crosswalk across 410 east of Kenilworth Ave. under Riverdale Park
jurisdiction?  (Sorry if that's a dumb question -- I'm fairly new around
here.) If so, I'm wondering if there's ever been any enforcement there. God
forbid anyone try to actually use it. Traffic on 410 will absolutely not
stop for pedestrians there.  I once slowed to allow a pedestrian to cross
and was almost rear-ended immediately.  The cars in the other lanes didn't
slow at all.  To avoid causing an accident, I sheepishly continued through
the crosswalk.  The pedestrian smartly remained safely waiting on the
median.

Also, there is a cut in the median in 410 near Beale Circle.  Does anyone
know the purpose of this?  I see many folks using it to turn left onto
Beale Circle from the westbound lanes of 410.  For a while in the recent
past, there were cones on the median blocking these left turns, but those
have since disappeared.  At the end of the day, are these left turns legal?

Best,
Fred