[RP TownTalk] UP CAFRITZ Meeting Postponed Until APRIL 20, UP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

Kate Kelly mrs.ahkelly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 22:03:18 UTC 2013

The Board of Directors of American Center for Physics has declined the Cafritz
proposal to use ACP's land for a bridge and roadway. Therefore, the current
development plans will need to be revised. The Town of University Park has
posted a copy of the ACP letter:
http://www.upmd.org/?t=ce_news&mode=dialog&id=419.

The presentation that was to have presented the current plan--scheduled for
this Wednesday (March 20) at UP Elementary--is postponed, perhaps
until Tuesday,
April 9. An announcement will be made to confirm the time.

Even though the developers do not currently have land for the bridge on the
east side of the CSX tracks,
we understand that they nevertheless plan to move forward rapidly, in hopes
of having building permits by Aug. 1, 2013. Three other possibilities for
the bridge have thus far been rejected, we believe. Talks apparently
continue with the University of Maryland for the original proposal to have
a crossing at Van Buren Street. The second option, for a J-shaped bridge,
was rejected by Riverdale Park, as we understand it. There has been
discussion of a third option at the southern end of the property as well,
although we're not very clear about where it would be or how it would work.

The developer will need to gain approval of a new Preliminary Plan of
Subdivision (requires a Planning Board hearing) and of a Detailed Site
Plan (requires
a District Council hearing) and a Special Permit (appealable to District
Court).

Any light that members of our government could shed would, of course, be
most welcome.

Kate Kelly