[RP TownTalk] Fwd: [RP Town Announce] Saturday Council meeting regarding Cafritz

Kate Kelly kelly.kate at verizon.net
Thu May 9 09:35:08 UTC 2013

This would be a good time for the town's elected officials to detail--even
briefly--for the public what the exact financial benefits to the town will
be and how much it will cost residents to pay for the Cafritz project.

Many years ago, a young Mayor Archer told me that the problem with building
a development of single-family homes on the Cafritz property was that it
would cost the rest of the town too much to support; that the property tax
revenues from such a development would not cover, for example, the cost of
public safety protection or public works maintenance. I challenge the mayor
and council now to explain exactly how the development will pay for itself.
And to explain what possible benefit--other than paving the way for a
suburban-style shopping center for the convenience of people who will drive
there on the widened Route 1--it will bring to the people who live, for
example, in Ward 4 or Ward 5. The taxes paid by the people in the rest of
the town will pay for police and fire protection on the new property: There
will be no property tax revenue for the town from the new development.

How can any member or our elected government support this development?

Kate Kelly