[RP TownTalk] Final info on Door issues I asked about

bob smith sfmc68 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 6 21:37:52 UTC 2013

A couple of folks asked me to fill them in on what I found regarding my
door problem and the resolution.

Quick answer - not due to quake, issue was due to design flaw from day
one that finally reared its head.

The door was cut into the foundation after the house was built and the
cellar was dug. The door frame can be thought of as an inverted U, with
the hinge side of the door the pivot point and not the usual door frame
rectangle structure we have for entry doors. That pivot point (the hinge
side of the door side of the frame) was not sufficiently anchored to the
foundation, and thus after some years broke loose (cement dried out,
anchoring mechanism wore it self loose), and it just so happened to be
after the earth quake. No issues with foundation or supporting
mechanisms, just substandard design. Fixed now, anchored properly and
reinforced to support newton's laws of motion.

thanks
bob