[RP TownTalk] Zip Codes and Property Values -- the Hyattsville Experience

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 14:00:50 UTC 2013

Since Hyattsville has been bandied about in this discussion, I thought I'd
pipe in since I worked on the same issue when I was on the Hyattsville City
Council.  Here are some bullet points in response to what has been said on
this listserv:

* Hyattsville's "zip code problem" is actually worse than Riverdale Park's,
for three reasons: 1) Hyattsville is not all in one zip code (it's in
three), which fragments its identity even further and draws in even more
area outside the municipality; 2) there are several zip codes that don't
even touch the City of Hyattsville that are called "Hyattsville" by the
Post Office, including some of the county's highest crime areas -- making
the term "another homicide in Hyattsville" a meme of local news coverage;
and 3) Hyattsville hasn't adopted a municipal name that distinguishes
itself from the surrounding neighborhoods, as did Riverdale Park.

* Hyattsville's real-estate values are indeed higher these days than those
in Riverdale Park.  I know, because I've helped dozens of families find
homes in our community, and some look in Riverdale Park for the express
reason that they can buy the same house for a good bit less.  But from the
above, it's evident that this has nothing to do with the zip code issue.

* Being assigned a unique zip code would likely help increase property
values in Hyattsville or Riverdale Park, but the effect might not be as
much as some proponents hope for.  There are many other factors that
influence a community's "brand".

* It is extraordinarily difficult to get the Post Office to change a zip
code assignation.  There are all kinds of costs involved for the Post
Office, not just reprogramming everything in their system, redrawing
carrier routes, etc., but often, it means establishing a new Post Office to
serve the new zip code.  And it might be difficult or impossible to redraw
boundaries to keep the requisite number of addresses in each zip code.  On
the other hand, the Post Office gains nothing in the endeavor at all.  As
most of us know, the Post Office is hurting financially these days, and is
closing Post Offices, not opening new ones.  Its resistance to politically
motivated changes is greater than it's ever been.

* The only way to overcome the institutional resistance of the Post Office
is to have a powerful Congressional patron who is willing to fight long and
hard for the municipality.  I made a study of successful campaigns (which
are rare), and this is what I found are the factors common to them: 1) the
residents of the municipality overwhelmingly favor the change; 2) it is
such an important issue for these residents that it can affect their votes;
3) that municipality is a key constituency for the Congressional member --
in other words, he/she might lose an election, or might make an otherwise
shaky incumbency secure, by accomplishing the zip code change; and 4) the
member of Congress has a seat on a committee handling appropriations for
the Post Office and is willing to include the zip code issue in matters
brought before the committee.  In Hyattsville's case, we likely met (1),
possibly (2), but not (3) or (4).  Riverdale Park, from what I see here,
might not even meet (1).  Quite frankly, it's hard to imagine a
municipality in a one-party county such as ours will ever meet (3), which
is one reason why such a movement has never been successful here or
anywhere else in Maryland.

Hyattsville officials, during my tenure, did meet with staff in our two
senators' and two House members' offices about getting our own zip code,
and while we were promised some assistance, it was clear that we weren't
going to get anything that was more than a symbolic effort.  The best we
were able to wrest from the Post Office is that a couple of the remote
"Hyattsville" zip codes got other names that became preferred in the postal
schema.

Hope that info was helpful --

Chris Currie

Message: 7