[RP TownTalk] Zip Code Change

Jeffrey Yorke yorkedial at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 20:13:39 UTC 2013

Bruce,

I am sorry if the point was not clear. I am also sorry if you were
offended. I apologize for your misunderstanding.

I was suggesting that like those battling against one thing or another
coming out of Washington -- FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN is used as a weapon. And, I
believed your argument used the same tactic fear coupled with bonus scary
argument: wasted tax money. We all hate tax money to be wasted so you have
lots of fans in that department. But that this is no evidence of that.
Still, we all get nervous.

It seems you simply disagree that a new zip will help boost the town's
appeal and revenues while a number of others have clearly pointed out why
they believe a new zip could be a benefit. And the argument about increased
property tax assessments has been countered with the suggestion that
attracting new and more businesses into the Town will generate more
revenue, negating the need to increase assessment percentages. Certainly
good points in the conversation.

I am sure no one wants to squelch pursuit of  new ways to build business
and revenues in this Town, particularly after dwelling here for nearly
three decades.

This is a conversation, not an argument, and I am sorry if your toes were
stepped on. And I agree with you, we all want iPads and the newest of all
gizmos. I, for one, cannot wait until the new Tesla Motors showroom and the
Apple stores open in Riverdale Park, each bearing that brand new zip code.
I'll dump my Ford Pinto and Royal typewriter in a DC minute for them!

Jeffrey