[RP TownTalk] Having a Town Meeting Re Police & Residents Relations?

Mary Wheatley mtwheat at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 14:24:57 UTC 2014

Thank you to everyone for your responses.

I should clarify that I am not suggesting that we have problems with
police relations in Riverdale Park. My hope is to open up a town-wide
dialogue about an issue that is currently on the minds of many people
in our country and relevant to every town in America. I was reflecting
on the events in Ferguson and wondering how we can turn the media
storm into a positive outcome nationwide. If every town in America
took this opportunity to take a step back and consider their own
police-resident relations, we could all feel safer and stronger in
community.

I am limited to my own rare experiences with the police. Frankly, I do
not know much about what the relations are like in this town outside
of my own interactions, and I have no reason to believe they are
negative. I'm interested in hearing what my neighbors think of the
relations in our town - good or bad. It's something worth talking
about and I'd like to see a forum where everyone in our community has
a chance to express their feelings.

I plan to reach out to the police, council members, and my Ward 2 rep.

Thank you.

--
marybirthdoula.wordpress.com