[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 97, Issue 18

Alison Spain alisonspain at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 03:45:27 UTC 2014

Hi Mary -

I think your question re: upcoming community events in the wake of Ferguson
is timely, and your idea of using the current momentum there as an impetus
to build community is important.  I don't think your concern is an
indictment of Riverdale PD, either.  I've witnessed R.P.D. doing a lot of
community building at events like Riverdale Park Day and the Easter Egg
Hunt.  That said, I've and shared enough conversation with Black & Latino
friends to know that they are teaching their sons a whole different set of
rules with regards to police encounters. With all due respect to other
posters, I do not think the appalling number of black youths and adults
being killed in police encounters are justified or an aberration.  So it's
good to talk about, and it's good to talk about with our authorities to
PREVENT such an incident in our community, and so that our youths don't
feel like their very state of being is suspect or criminalized.

Perhaps a good place to start is with town council and the RPD.  What kind
of diversity and community building mechanisms currently exist within our
municipal organizations?

I'm willing to participate, y hablo español más o menos si puedo ayudar en
cualquier manera.

Best,
Alison
Tuckerman St.