[RP TownTalk] Ordinance 2014-OR-01

Stan Wilson swilson at rapidpermits.com
Sat Feb 1 04:42:14 UTC 2014

Mr Ebberler,

Your response is self serving and your attitude is condescending. My frustration with the Council and you stems from two permits I have submitted to the Town this year. The first was in June for a fence at 4609 Oliver Street in your ward. The homeowner and I attended the hearing and ultimately after all other public business was addressed were informed that since you weren’t present there was no need to be there and we would have to come back. I am of the opinion that since we were on the agenda weren’t going to be heard, a common courtesy would have been to announced that at the beginning of the hearing and not wait an hour or two. When I knew we had another hearing for the fence in question coming up, I instructed my client, Patrick McCarthy the CEO of Professional Healthcare Services, to call the day of the hearing to make sure you were in attendance. He was coming from Baltimore County and surely did not want to waste his time. You have stated you had alerted the mayor well in advance that you were going to be out of state. If this is the case why were we not notified in advance. Again, this seems like a common curtesy, especially when the Town was called the day of the hearing to see if you would be present.  At the hearing that night the Town representative from Public Works testified that he had been to the site and the location of the fence and wall could not be seen from any streets. You have to go down a driveway behind the building to see the loading dock that has an existing 6’ high chain link fence on it. The new fence & wall, with materials you finally approved, is inside the existing chain link fence. The fence was necessitated because the Crescent City Health & Rehabilitation Center is locating oxygen containers from inside the building to the loading dock. You insisted that you wanted aluminum or custom welded steel. Mr. McCarthy, who’s company specializes in this type of installation pointed out that oxygen can be volatile and steel has a melting point of 2,500F and aluminum 1,218F. He also noted that in their industry, chain link is the common material used for safety, durability. strength and cost to be placed around any cylinder manifold system. You answered back that “As a pilot who owns and has flown many a plane that have a 60+ year old aluminum frames/components and sit outside 24/7, I and the FAA are perfectly comfortable with the strength and reliability of it versus steel.” Really? That makes you an expert on enclosures for oxygen tanks at medical facilities and you can speak for the FAA. Your argument how my client kept changing his argument until you got to the real argument “cost” is quite condescending. The end of your response below points out that chain link and aluminum cost the same per 100 linear feet at Home Depot. So perhaps not using aluminum had nothing to do with cost. I do remember Riversdale Mansion when it had no fence and my children loved to sled down the hill. I have mixed feeling about the fence but it is attractive. Bringing it into this discussion is one of the areas you are disingenuous . The fence and wall we are talking about serves a completely different purpose and can’t be seen. Your last quote I will note is “I’m looking for something that is visually high quality. If the application is presented with chain link of any material of that ilk my motion will be either for disapproval or approval with conditions of a welded architectural solid steel gate with a minimum of 14 or 16 gauge tubing. I’ll likely also include in the motion for additional facade improvements for the CMU block such as stucco.” This was a threat that you followed through on. New Jersey has a bully for a governor that abuses his authority and we, who live in Riverdale, have one on our council. I fear the mayor and council will push thru your ban on chain link without consideration of the impact on many of our citizens.

 Stan Wilson

 www.RapidPermits.com
 swilson at rapidpermits.com