[RP TownTalk] Ordinance 2014-OR-01

Lou King lking at knob.com
Thu Jan 30 21:05:21 UTC 2014

I have really tried to keep my mouth shut but -- Robert Frost read one
of his poems at Kennedy's inaugural, so "I" don't think we are talking
"that old." I am assuming, most people's, knowledge of the saying is
from his poem "Mending Wall" which implies that the communion of mending
the wall (fence) together, from both sides, is what makes for good
neighbors.

The saying is from at least the 17th century. Even Frost suggest the
idiom may be outdated and should be examined:

"He will not go behind his father's saying,
And he likes having thought of it so well
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."

Cows and the stretch from stone walls to chain link fences not with
standing, as others have said the ordinance is nothing new. I dare say
that a chain link fence has not been installed in Riverdale Park in the
last 15 years, or at least as long as I have been watching. So there is
no need to personalize the topic, this just codifies what is already a
long standing fact. Opinions about what constitutes a "Good fence" may vary.

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org