[RP TownTalk] Listening session tomorrow night-- why I'm going

kathy galleher kgalleher at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 16:57:37 UTC 2014

Dear Neighbors
Just wanted to remind everyone that Prince Georges County is updating their zoning plan and there is a listening session to gather community input This Thursday night (June 5) at the Parks and Rec Building (6600 Kenilworth Ave, Riverdale Park, MD 20737).   Zoning regulations affect every aspect of future development in our county.

I wanted to share why I plan to attend.  I'm excited about the future Purple Line development in our area. Yet my understanding is that currently Prince Georges County has no policy for rent control, low-income housing preservation, or low-income 'set asides' in new development. Apparently we had one in the past, but it was repealed!  The absence of these policies means that our friends who live in local apartments and the rich multi-ethnic business environment here in Riverdale and in Langley Park may have to leave as prices rise and old apartments are razed for new (often very expensive) mixed use developments.  Most of my church community lives in Langley Park, and without any zoning changes, my vibrant faith community may well disappear, which would be a great loss to me.

I am actually not against mixed use development. I just want to make sure that our county zoning preserves the rich multi-cultural neighborhoods we have, and makes this area (and county) affordable to people of many income levels. And that the residents who suffered the inconveniences of construction, noise, and traffic, can stay around to enjoy the fruits of these new developments!

 Montgomery County has enacted a number of these provisions and continues to enjoy both prosperous development and rich multicultural/multi-economic communities.So I plan to gotomorrow night to encourage the zoning regulations that preserve and set aside low income housing when there is new development.

I'm not expecting everyone on the listserv will feel the same way on this issue. I only wanted to share my thoughts and raise awareness of the meeting. I  hope you will come for your own reasons and share your concerns so that our county's future development reflects all our values and concerns.
Kathy