[RP TownTalk] Weekly Specials - Thursday, June 26 - Sweet Corn, blueberries, peaches?

Jim Coleman rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 01:25:15 UTC 2014

*Riverdale Park's Farmers Market*
TOMORROW: June 26th, 2014 3PM - 7PM

Get your sweet corn, sugar snap peas, blueberries, garlic scapes, turnips,
leafy greens galore, jams and jellies, apples, greens, flowers, plants,
pastured meats, free range hen eggs, artisan aged goat and raw milk cheeses
while we enjoy the heart of Spring.   Maybe peaches?!@%! Don't miss it!
Many new and enticing products will be coming to the market this year!
Come and enjoy the festive early Spring atmosphere!  Evening hours are fun
at the market!   We look forward to seeing you Thursdays from 3pm to 7pm at
the Riverdale Park Town Center, rain or shine.

*WEATHER: *High 88F. Chance of rain super low. Warm & breezy.

*Feature: Greens*

Top 10 Reasons to eat your greens <http://www.leafy-greens.org/top10.html>

 from the the Leafy Greens Council.

#10 - Your mother told you there are few other vegetables that are as rich
in essential vitamins, vital minerals and food value as cruciferous
vegetables!

# 9 - Your mother told you they are high in calcium. (Cruciferous
vegetables are excellent natural sources of calcium, which helps to
maintain healthy bones and prevent osteoporosis.)

# 8 - Your mother told you they have high vitamin E. (Vitamin E has been
found to inhibit skin tumors and carcinogenesis in a number of tissues.)

# 7 - Your mother told you they have high ascorbic acid. (Since vitamin C
is not stored by the body, adequate amounts must be taken every day. In
addition to its cancer-inhibiting characteristics, ascorbic acid (vitamin
C) is essential for the production of the white blood cells that protect
against infections and bacterial toxins.

# 6 - Your mother told you they are high in Beta-carotene. ( Beta-carotene
is a component of dietary vitamin A. A single serving of broccoli or one of
the greens has enough beta-carotene to provide more than the daily
allowance requirement of Vitamin A).

# 5 - Your mother told you they are high in fiber. (The American Institute
for Cancer Research guidelines call for the consumption of 25-35 grams of
fiber a day).

# 4 - Your mother told you they are low in calories.

# 3 - Your mother told you they have no cholesterol.

# 2 - Your mother told you they are fat free. (Increasing the amounts of
vegetables in our diets can help in controlling weight).

# 1 - Your mother told you to join the Cruciferous Crusaders All-Star
Cancer fighting team. (35% of all cancer deaths may be related to what we
eat. Consumption of certain vegetables, especially cruciferous vegetables,
has been associated with a reduction in the incidence of cancer in humans).

For storage tips and recipes, ask your farmers. They're very smart.

*Growers:* Blades Orchard, Thanks God It's Fresh, Happy Hens
Barnyard, Boxers Rest Farm, Musachio Produce, ECO City Farms, Groff's
Content Farm, Red Chimney Flower Farm, and Jack Creek Plants.

*Tasty Treats: *Simple Pleasures Ice Cafe, Geppetto Catering BBQ, Zeke's
Coffee of DC, Ruben's Crepes, The Verandah Indian Food, Migue's Magnificent
Mini Donuts, Stone Hearth Bakery, and Bonaparte Breads.

*Speciality: *Mystic Water Soaps and Shine Massage & Wellness, and Prince
George's Master Gardeners.

For tomorrow's listening pleasure: Maple Joint Venture--a jazz ensemble
made up of veterans of the DC rock, bluegrass, and jazz scenes. Among them
is RPFM-seasoned musician, Tom Alderson. Performing a lively selection of
swing and bebop favorites featuring piano, lap steel, bass, and drums.

Important Notices:

Food safety notice: Due to a preponderance of evidence and our county's
health department regulations, dogs are no longer welcome at
the farmers market. We regret the loss but hope that our dog owning
customers will forgive us for this change.

Important note about parking: only parallel parking is allowed on Maryland
Ave (the road that passes under East-West Highway) -- please do not park in
any other manner.

Got ideas for improvements? Talk to or email Jim Coleman and share your
thoughts!  We can do it: change begins in Riverdale Park!
Bring Your Own Bag!
We are also interested in making sure folks know about us on Yelp and
Chowhound.
Shameless Promotion: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!
Here's a sample of more top-quality, locally grown/made items
available Thursday at the market:  * Apples! * Sweet Corn, * awesome local
seafood, * Sweet Corn, * delicious blueberries,  * Sugar Snap peas, *kale,
 *greens, etc. * Spinach, Spring Mix, * Cilantro, * Free Range Eggs, *
Fresh Chicken, * Cut & Potted flowers, * Baked Goods, *  Grass fed Beef, *
Pastured Pork and Lamb * Fresh Sausages * Breads & Pastries  * Small Batch
Roasted Coffee

Our favorite nationally known local food site, localharvest.org

 is always looking for more reviews of the market.

Send us your recipe with local ingredients and we'll put the best recipes
in next week's newsletter and give you a $10 Fruits & Veggies gift
certificate from the market!

Facebook is soliciting for reviews of our market. Please tell them what you
love about our market! If there's something you dislike about our market,
please tell me first so I can address it personally, rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com.
   As one customer recently told us, "Riverdale Park is the fun market!"
Each week we offer live music by award winning local artists, kids'
entertainment, and a wide selection of fresh produce and specialty items
sold directly by Maryland farmers. Held at our town center, 4650 Queensbury
Road, Riverdale Park, MD

Riverdale Park Farmers Market is supported in part by So Maryland So Good..