[RP TownTalk] Special Legislative Meeting Agenda: March 17, 2014

James D. Holmes jdholmes at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 17:03:21 UTC 2014

Mayor Archer

The reason I keep bringing up this issue is because the lack of
leadership by you and the Council in addressing the need for a Cable TV
Franchise Committee.  Prince George's County and several other
Municipalities have one.  Over the past 10 years, the Town has collected
approximately $500.000 in franchise fees.  What has the Town done with
this money.

If you believe that all my assertions are false, why has the Town
refused to provide financial documents that are not redacted (see
attachment).  Was a report issued on my complaint.  I would like to read
the findings.

You are misleading the residents about the 5% franchise fee.  The 5%
franchise fee is not only on the subscriber's cable TV selection, it
includes other revenues, (see below) even if the resident did not select
or purchase the additional service.

Expanded Basic Video Services
Limited Basic Video Service
Digital Video Service
Pay
PPV/VOD
Video Equipment
Digital Video Equipment
Video Installation/Activation
Franchise Fee
PEG Fee
Other
Late Fee
Write-off/Recoveries
Add Sales
Home Shopping Commissions

When you add the fees from the listed services, the 5% franchise fee
could increase to 6.5% of the cable TV bill.

J. Holmes