[RP TownTalk] On list etiquette and tired & worn-out topics

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 19:47:17 UTC 2014

TownTalkers - I am writing now in my capacity as List Moderator.

1.   Belatedly, I just realized that James Holmes has quoted in full, to
TownTalk, at least two messages from a reader, Jeffrey Yorke, who had
responded to James about the current thread on cable tv franchise fees
(etc.) but had chosen to respond to James offlist.  There are good reasons
to take things off list sometimes, and given the content of Jeffrey's msgs
- here revealed to all of us by James' reposting of them - I think these
are examples of when it's best to go off-list.  But that's a personal
decision.  What brings this to my attention as List Moderator is that one
member has at least twice brought those off-line communications back to the
public list and replied there for all to read.  This is not good list
etiquette, and I would hope that everyone would respect the intention and
desire of people who reply off list by keeping that conversation private.

2. I think this topic has been discussed thoroughly and for some, no doubt,
ad nauseum.  To continue this thread would be beating a horse that is
clearly dead.  If anyone still has concerns about the ordinance that's on
the Council agenda for next week, I would suggest that they please address
their town representatives or town staff directly.

Thank you.

Dwight Holmes
List Moderator