[RP TownTalk] The Fall Fun Continues at Riversdale!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Mon Oct 20 18:17:48 UTC 2014

Hello, hello!

I hope you are all enjoying the crisp weather we've been having! Here at Riversdale, we have lots of fall fun on the agenda! Jack o' lanterns, eerie stories, and a little something for your favorite Janeite round out our autumn offerings.

This coming Sunday, October 26, there are two FREE programs.
Find out about the interesting history of one of the staples of the Halloween season - the jack o' lantern! Visit with the Kitchen Guild from noon-3:30 pm as they demonstrate 19th century pumpkin recipes and candle making while offering up stories of the origins of the jack o' lantern tradition.
Later in the afternoon, the Riversdale Chamber Music Society closes out the fall season with a selection of music. The concert is FREE and runs from 2:30 - 3:30 pm.

Continuing in the Halloween tradition comes Saturday, November 1st's Gothick Evening: Saints and Sinners. 19th century literature is brimming with stories of the supernatural, eerie castles and cathedrals, and macabre moral tales. Take a moonlit walk of the grounds while listening to snippets from some of these stories. End the evening with some warm cider by the light of the fire. The event begins at 7pm and spaces are filling quickly! Registration is required by October 24, so check those calendars! Ages 12 & up. The cost is $10 for residents of Prince George's and Montgomery Counties and $12 for non-resident friends.

Later in November, Janeites every can enjoy An Afternoon of Austen Fashion at 1:30 pm on November 15. Come dressed in your finest and enjoy two illustrated lectures, ("Then I Dress for the Day": A Day in the Life of a Regency Lady and Gentleman and Dressing Darcy: Costume in "Pride and Prejudice" Adaptations) by area costume historians.  Show of your fab fashions during a flash fashion show and end the afternoon with period refreshments from the Kitchen Guild. Registration has been extended to November 7. The cost is $20 for residents of Prince George's and Montgomery Counties and $24 for non-resident friends.

And, I know it's hard to believe that it is already time for Riversdale to begin finalizing our December events, but the truth is that Sint Niklaas will be making his annual visit to the museum for Breakfast with Sint Niklaas on his feast day, Saturday, December 6. Children and parents will enjoy a Belgian-inspired program and children will receive a gift from and have time to visit with Sint Niklaas.  Registration is required by November 16 and this popular program sells out in advance every year. Choose from the 9 am & 11 am seatings. The cost is $10/child & $7/adult for residents of Prince George's and Montgomery Counties and $12/child & $9/adult for non-resident friends.

Need more info? Want to register for a program? Call the office at 301.864.0420 and staff will be happy to assist!

Hope to see you all soon!

Cheers,
Samantha
Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com<mailto:Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com> / history.pgparks.com<http://history.pgparks.com/>
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498
Like us on Facebook!<http://www.facebook.com/riversdalemuseum> / Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=rx4axyiab&p=oi&m=1108931018481>