[RP TownTalk] Financial fraud; warning

S Collins ugglywump at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 11:18:21 UTC 2014

Word of warning to everyone, keep an eagle eye on your bank accounts.  Last month I recd a notice from my bank, it seems a gentleman in Nigeria had hacked my debit card number (thankfully NOT my account) and was trying to have a good time on my dime!.  Thank goodness for bank fraud alerts, guess they figured it was highly unlikely I was using my debit card both in a grocery store here and someplace in Lagos, Nigeria on the same day!  Closed out that debit card, got a new one.  This Saturday evening, got a recorded call from something called Credit Card Alliance, saying my debit card was locked due to security issues? I listened to some of the recording until they said "please enter your debit card number."  I don't THINK so!!! Hung up and called the bank, they said no hold was on my account.  I looked up the telephone number online, needless to say, it's a scam.   As they used to say on "Hill Street Blues,"  - Let's be careful out there. Do not give any
 personal information over the phone to unsolicited callers (or emails, letters)  AND - a note to you folks in Nigeria or anywhere else, if you want to commit fraud, how about going after someone who actually has some money for a change?  Can't have TOO much fun with my anemic little bank balance!