[RP TownTalk] (no subject)

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 12:26:36 UTC 2014

Sarah, there are two types of lead tests -- the swipe test and the x-ray
test.

The x-ray test certifies the house as lead-free and never has to be
repeated.  This test is more expensive and if there is any lead paint in
the house, even buried deep under layers of non-lead paint, the house will
fail the test.

The swipe test measures surface lead and certifies that there is no lead
hazard to occupants at present.  However, there may be encapsulated lead
paint that will be exposed at some point in the future and, therefore, the
test needs to be repeated periodically.

The swipe test always includes samples from around windows, since that's
where the friction of sashes opening and closing often exposes underlying
lead paint.  If you have window jambs that were painted prior to 1978, you
probably won't pass the swipe test unless you've recently repainted them or
you've taken a lot of care to clean in and below the windows (there is a
nine-step process recommended by some).  That doesn't mean that if you
don't do that regularly your children will get lead poisoning, but it does
mean you will likely flunk the swipe test.

I grew up in a 1920s Tudor bungalow in Detroit, and I remember my brother
and I chewing on the peeling paint on our bedroom window jambs when we were
preschoolers.  I'm sure our exposure to lead was a lot higher than what is
considered tolerable today, but my brother went on earn multiple patents in
electronic engineering and I routinely scored in the 99th percentile in
standardized tests, so it seems that our brains weren't pickled by our
early lead exposure.

Chris

Message: 2