[RP TownTalk] 6th Annual Native Plant Sale - May 16!

Bart Lawrence bartkathleen at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 00:30:32 UTC 2015

6th Annual Native Plant SaleLooking to make your garden or yard more beautiful, interesting, and inviting to birds, bees, and butterflies? Do you want to plant fruit-bearing shrubs? Or, maybe you want to replace some English ivy that’s smothering your garden. You can find all the plants you need to make these changes and more at the Hyattsville Elementary School PTA’s 6th Annual Native Plant Sale. What: Hyattsville Elementary School PTA’s 6th Annual Native Plant SaleWhen: May 16 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.Where: 5311 43rd Ave., Hyattsville, MD 20781 Learn more and look for updates on our website at http://hyattsvillees-pta.org/native-plant-sale/n The photos on the website are of native plants that were purchased at prior HES-PTA sales and are growing in Hyattsville, with no watering or pesticide use…and they keep coming back! Why Use Native Plants?They grow with minimal use of water, fertilizers, and pesticides. Wildlife species have evolved with these plants and use them as their habitat. They are adapted to local soil, rainfall, and temperature conditions.They have developed natural defenses to many insects and diseases. Using native plants helps preserve the balance and beauty of natural ecosystems. Visit the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ website to learn more about creating a garden to attract hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees. http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Habitat/WildAcres/wahumbutbee.asp  Our 2015 plant list follows. Please know that we often are unable to offer one or two varieties each year. Butterfly Milkweed
New England Aster
Blue False Indigo
Marsh Marigold
Lance-leaved Tickseed
Purple Coneflower
Joe Pye Weed
Wood Geranium
Ox Eye Sunflower
Swamp Rose Mallow
Blue Flag
Blazing Star
Cardinal Flower
Wild Bergamot
Black-eyed Susan
Wrinkle-leaf Goldenrod
Blue Vervain
New York Ironweed
Bearded Foxglove

Ostrich fern
Marsh Fern
Sensitive Fern
Cinnamon Fern
Christmas Fern

Button Bush
Winterberry
Spicebush
American Elderberry
Arrowwod Viburnum
Summersweet
Chokeberry
Swamp Azalea
Carolina Rose
Swamp Rose
Virginia Rose
Common witch hazel
Virginia sweetspire
Meadowsweet
Lowbush Blueberry
Highbush Blueberry
Cranberrybush Viburnum

Eastern Redbud
Sweet Bay Magnolia
Persimmon
Shadblow Serviceberry
Black Cherry
Flowering Dogwood Please let me know if you have any questions.Bart LawrenceHyattsville, MD