[RP TownTalk] Rivers to Rockets Weekend - May 2-3, 2015

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 27 17:32:46 UTC 2015

Hello everyone!
Hope you had a wonderful weekend. We are looking forward to this coming weekend and hope you can join us around the Heritage Area! We have labeled this first weekend in May as the "Rivers to Rockets Weekend." It will be filled with a variety of programs and activities from Maryland Milestones and also our partners.
On Friday night are two FREE music programs at Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center (UMD's Gamelan Saraswati and UMD's Wind Ensemble).
On Saturday, May 2nd, two big activities happen in Bladensburg and the Port Towns. First from 9 until 1pm, the Bladensburg Waterfront Park will host a FREE Open House with free rentals. Then from 10am until 4pm, Maryland Milestones and the Town of Bladensburg lead the annual Bostwick Festival at 3901 48th Street, Bladensburg. This year we have a blacksmith, farm animals, black powder demo, 1800s toys and games, artists, music (Blue Plains Acoustic Trio & Homespun Ceilidh Band), NeatMeatDC Food Truck, tours, and even a trolley that will run from Noon until 4pm taking visitors to Waterfront Park and the Magruder House. Parking is nearby and entrance is FREE! That evening there is Forklift First Fridays with FREE music at Community Forklift from 6-8pm and then at 8pm the Gamer Symphony performs at the Clarice - STILL FREE!
On Sunday, May 3rd, come ride with Maryland Milestones (and sponsored by Councilwoman Dannielle Glaros) at 10am leaving from Hyattsville's Magruder Park. We will ride the Tributary Trails and stop by the Riverdale Park Arts Festival on our way back. This is an easy 18mile ride with few hills and a few (quiet) on street routes. We will have Proteus and Arrow Bikes participating - some come ride! (Registration fee required, includes lunch.) Later that day - starting at 1pm - the Artful Afternoon in Greenbelt is a FREE activity with alight Dance Theater performing their "Frontline: Women of a Forgotten War" program. This 1812 themed dance program is moving and exciting. Then, that evening at the Clarice UMD Symphony Orchestra and the Maryalnd Opera Studio perform a FREE program at 8pm.
So much to do! So much for free! Come and explore our Heritage Area!
Aaron MarcavitchExecutive DirectorMaryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.