[RP TownTalk] Fwd: PEPCO and tree removal

Alan K. Thompson twacks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 01:35:47 UTC 2015

Following up on an (off-list) message from Gloria Felix-Thompson, I found
out last night that PEPCO will not take out, or even trim, privately-owned
trees without "permission" from the owner.  They will notify homeowners (in
person or via a door hanger) of their intent, usually around a week in
advance, and perform the work if they don't hear from you.  The door
hangers should have contact information on them, and calling the number
(and leaving a message) will prevent them from trimming your tree before
they discuss what needs to happen with you.  I encourage everyone to at
least consider what they are saying about the trees - for those of us who
are tree-lovers, it's hard to hear, but there may actually be a good reason
to take a tree out.

If you don't have contact information, or are concerned about timing or
being heard, feel free to contact Mayor Archer or your Town Council
representative.

If you are on the other side of the fence (hi Bob!) and think your tree is
in desperate need of trimming or being taken down, you can file a request
for them to look at your tree (or vines) at
https://www.pepco.com/forms/pepco/business/treevegmgmt.aspx

Finally, one resident I heard from was worried about PEPCO taking down
street trees.  Our Town has a comprehensive street tree management program,
and we are at a point now where our arborist thinks the trees are (in
general) in good shape.  The Town will work with PEPCO to make sure that we
agree with their assessment before removing or trimming trees.  Mayor
Archer may let us know exactly what's happening - I heard from him that he
was working with staff to manage this situation.  One thing about street
trees is that PEPCO, the Town, and the State all have to agree that a tree
needs to go before it will happen.

Last but not least, I know our County Council representative, Dannielle
Glaros, had a meeting with PEPCO late today to discuss their program and
how PEPCO should work with residents.  I haven't heard what happened yet,
but will pass on anything I hear.

Anyone wanting to learn everything there is to know about PEPCO's
vegetation management program (including what laws regulate it) can watch
the presentation made at Hyattsville's City Council meeting on January 20
of this year.  The video is at
http://hyattsvillecitymd.iqm2.com/Citizens/SplitView.aspx?Mode=Video&MeetingID=1007&Format=Agenda
 The PEPCO presentation starts an hour and 12 minutes into the video, with
the response to a (Council) question about getting permission to trim or
remove a tree at around an hour and 26 minutes into the meeting.

I hope this clears things up!

Best regards,

Alan