[RP TownTalk] Hyattsville council discusses RxR quiet zone for Decatur crossing

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:59:32 UTC 2015

Hi Dwight,

And since you asked I'll go ahead and put out some news I was holding until
I finalized.  RP is in the final stages of its quest for a quiet zone and
we expect to have the answer--presumably granting a quiet zone--late in the
Spring.  Yes, I'm being purposely vague because so many of the due dates
have been missed over the last several years. Councilman Ebbeler has
quietly pressed this matter for several years and Town Administrator Imhulse
has kept the process steadily moving forward. Honestly it has been such a
paper work exercise that it doesn't really lend itself to news or even blog
posts.

Referencing your ending Dwight wanting "CSX to turn down the noise, I would
be all for it!" let me caution you as to what a quiet zone actually is.
Simply put the engineer will not be required to blow the horn at the
crossing.  The discretion then will lie exclusively with that driver and
his judgement.  Considering that half of the intersection is largely
obscured by the trolley building/Archie Edwards Blues building, there is
significant pedestrian crossing on both sides of the intersection for
several 100 feet in both directions, knowing that crossing gates do
occasionally malfunction, there has been 2 pedestrian fatalities and 2
auto/truck/bus accidents in the past 5 years, and it takes 100s of yard to
stop a train even when moving at slow speeds, I wont be surprised if the
train's driver errs on the side of caution and makes liberal use of his/her
horn. But to the degree possible I certainly do join you Dwight in being
all for CSX turning down the noise.

Sincerely,

Vern

--