[RP TownTalk] Riverdale Park Farmers Market Weekly Highlights

Jim Coleman rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 04:35:30 UTC 2015

Riverdale Park's Farmers Market

*TOMORROW: February 26, 2014 3 - 7PM*

*@: 6204 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD*

Get your spinach, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, white potatoes, sweet
potatoes, turnips, carrots, kale, raab, chard, cilantro, thyme, sage,
pastured meats, free range hen eggs while we enjoy the beginning of Winter.
Don't miss it!  Evening hours are fun at the market!   We look forward to
seeing you Thursdays from 3 to 7pm at the Riverdale Park Town Center, rain
or shine.

*WEATHER: *High will be windy 32F outside but it will be temperate and cozy
at our new indoor location. Chance of rain : 0% until 7 PM. We'll see...

*Feature Farmer: *Full Cellar Farm <https://www.facebook.com/FullCellarFarm>
 is back this week with the following items: kale; pea shoots; micro
greens; butternuts; kabocha squash; sweet dumpling squash; garlic; popcorn;
potatoes; sweet potatoes; eggs; rutabagas; hakurei turnips; winter radishes.

*Feature Vendor*: Bowie's favorite ice cream shop, Simple Pleasures Ice Cafe
<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Simple-Pleasures-Ice-Cafe/140092469358114> is
coming over for a special appearance. Join us from 3 to 7.

*Feature News: *

Peachy Family Dairy can't make it this week. Mr. Peachy had a death in the
family. He hopes to be back next week. We continue our Winter Market from *now
to March 26, 2015*. *We'll be right next door to the parking lot @ 6204
Rhode Island Avenue from 3 to 7 PM Thursdays.*

Through the generous contributions from the Riverdale Park Town Council and
the facilitation of the Maryland State Farmers Market Association, the
Maryland Market Money program is up and running again. We will continue
the weekly $10 match of WIC (until November 30 & SNAP recipients' benefits
each Thursday until our budget runs out. Hopefully, the program can
continue until the end of the Winter season on March 26 (*new date!*).

*Feature Recipe: *

Help! What do I do with my butternut squash? Try these...
<http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/popular-ingredients/butternut-squash-recipes>

*Growers:* Groff's Content Farm - Pastured meats & eggs, Cat's Paw Organic
Farm, awesome veggies from Full Cellar Farm, ECO City Farm (CSA only) & Peachy
Family Dairy (Goat cheeses, fresh feta, goat meat)

*Tasty Treats: *Homemade ice cream from *Simple Pleasures Ice Cafe*, *Roy &
RT's Garden,  *Ruben's Crepes, Stone Hearth Bakery.

*Speciality:  *furnishings by *Tanglewood Works
<http://www.tanglewoodworks.com/>**; *knit goods from* Christiane's
Designs.                               *

*Non-Profit: *Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/Prince George’s
County will be at the market to tell you about how you can become an
advocate for children in foster care. CASA is accepting applications for
their Spring Evening Training that will start April 1st and run Monday &
Wednesday evenings from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm for a total of 9 classes. Spring
Training will be held at the Hyattsville Municipal Building. Each volunteer
will be screened, trained and then matched with one child. Learn more at
www.pgcasa.org/Events

 or call the office at 301-209-0491. Interested candidates must apply by
March 2nd to complete the interview process for Spring Training. We are
also interviewing for our Summer Daytime training. Date and location TBA.
The CASA office is located at 6811 Kenilworth Ave, Riverdale, MD.

Entertainers: Harmonica player Charles Solomon

*Kid fun:* Crayons & paper

*This Sunday:* *Riverdale Rooster Sunday Coffee House Market #5*

*Hosted by:* *Riverdale Park Farmers Market*
*Where:* *6204 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD*
*When:** Sundays 9 to 2PM, Feb. 22 to Mar. 22*
*How much?:* Free but please tip musicians...
hot cider & other drinks by RPFM; pastries by Potomac Pastry via Zeke's
Coffee; hot food by Ruben's Crepes & Mexican food (really, this week); *
*kids activities:* crayons & paper
*Local Music venue:* 10 AM to 1 PM, Sweetback Papas
*Proceeds:* farmers market fundraising