[RP TownTalk] Riverdale Park's Farmers Market Weekly Highlights

Jim Coleman rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 03:51:00 UTC 2015

*TOMORROW: January 22, 2014 3 - 7PM*

*@: 6204 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD*

Get your radishes, spinach, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, white
potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips, kale, raab, bokchoy,
pacchoi, turnips, chard, cilantro, thyme, sage, jams and jellies, apples,
pastured meats, free range hen eggs, fresh small batch roasted coffees,
goat meat and goat cheese products, award winning wines while we enjoy the
beginning of Winter. Don't miss it!  Evening hours are fun at the market!
We look forward to seeing you Thursdays from 3 to 7pm at the Riverdale Park
Town Center, rain or shine.

*WEATHER: *High will be a balmy 44F, outside but it will be temperate and
cozy at our new indoor location. Chance of rain : 0% until 7 PM. We'll
see...

*Feature Farmer*: Mr. Peachy is one of the nicest guys we know and a great
farmer. *Peachy Family Dairy* offers the following items this time of year:
Goat milk caramel (amazing!); Chèvre, feta, marinated & aged goat cheeses;
goat meat products.

*Feature News: *

This week, we continue our  Winter Market from *now to March 26, 2015*. *We'll
be right next door to the parking lot @ 6204 Rhode Island Avenue from 3 to
7 PM Thursdays.* Plans are going great for our beautiful rustic space
indoors. We continue to work with Neighborhood Design Center. So far, we
received 100 pallets donated from Central Services Office of the Prince
George's County government and some items from Community Forklift. We had
great professional help from Bob Bolton of Groff's Content Farm, an
anonymous local electrician, pro bono architects, Allie O'Neil & Alexeus
Nicol, market alum & captain of Team Tanglewood, Susan Older-Mondeel, great
vendors, Shahla Abdi & Michelle Burns. New local business Tanglewood Works
Studio  is helping to create our funky yet cozy atmosphere by outfitting
the market space with their upcycled furnishings. Hey, if you like it, you
can even buy it!

We still need volunteer help with painting and interior design elements. If
you or your kids are interested in being a part of this effort, contact Jim
Coleman @ rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com with the subject line of Volunteer for more
info. Once the Statement of Work is completed, we will be ready to enlist
lots of volunteers.

Through the generous contributions from the Riverdale Park Town Council and
the facilitation of the Maryland State Farmers Market Association, the
Maryland Market Money program is up and running again. We will continue the
weekly $10 match of WIC (until November 30 & SNAP recipients' benefits each
Thursday until our budget runs out. Hopefully, the program can continue
until the end of the Winter season on March 26 (*new date!*).

*Feature Recipes: *

Chicken Noodle Soup anyone?
<http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/01/my-ultimate-chicken-noodle-soup/> This
one by Smitten Kitchen takes full advantage of veggies & meat available now
@ the market.

*Growers:* REX Farms Orchard - Stock up on local apples & products
tomorrow, next RP stop in two weeks. Groff's Content Farm - Pastured meats
& eggs, Cat's Paw Organic Farm, ECO City Farm (market veggies & CSA) & Peachy
Family Dairy (Goat products)

*Tasty Treats: *Ruben's Crepes, Roy & RT's Garden & Kitchen, Stone Hearth
Bakery.

*Speciality: * Elk Run Winery, Zeke's Coffee & furnishings by Tanglewood
Works <http://www.tanglewoodworks.com>

*Entertainers:* Local musician Mary Wheatley will be playing this week from 5
to 7 PM.

*Kid fun:* Crayons & paper

*More to come:* Riverdale Rooster Sunday Coffee House Market

*Hosted by:* Riverdale Park Farmers Market
*Where:* 6204 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD
*When:* Sundays 9 to 2PM, Feb. 1 to Mar. 22
*How much?:* Free but please tip musicians...
hot cider & other drinks by RPFM; Stone Hearth Bakery bread & pastries; hot
food by Ruben's Crepes & Mexican food; amazing jewelry from Shahla Abdi
Antique Trade Bead Jewelry;
*kids activities:* crayons & paper
*Local Music venue:* depending on signups, either 930 to 1100 & 1130 to 1
PM or 11 AM to 1 PM.
*Proceeds:* farmers market fundraising

*Important Notices:*

Food safety notice: Due to a preponderance of evidence and our county's
health department regulations, dogs are no longer welcome at
the farmers market. We regret the loss but hope that our dog owning
customers will forgive us for this change.

Important note about parking: only parallel parking is allowed on Maryland
Ave (the road that passes under East-West Highway) -- please do not park in
any other manner.