[RP TownTalk] Missing Tortoise

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 13:02:59 UTC 2015

Valrie, go to http://images.google.com and search for term "box turtle".
Is that your tortoise?  If so, it is very likely wild and not a pet.  One
of the main reasons for the severe decline in the population of box turtles
is people capturing them as pets.

The best thing to do for a box turtle is to let it return to its life in
the wild.  It may be a female looking for a place to lay its eggs.

Also worth noting is that turtles can carry salmonella.

My kids have caught a few box turtles over the years in our yard.  We
transplant them into Magruder Park, to get them away from streets, where
they are often roadkill.

Chris

Message: 2