[RP TownTalk] Notification that a 7-11 proposal is coming

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 16:59:46 UTC 2015

Friends and neighbors,

I've received a number of emails from concerned residents living near the
area where a 7-11 is being proposed at 6315 Baltimore Avenue.  As opposed
to trying to respond to each person seperately I'm writing now so that any
and all can have whatever benefit this information brings.

The letter that has caused the concern was sent by the attorney
representing the project, informing us that a Special Permit application
WILL BE submitted to Park and Planning. This is the only possible way
forward for this project because the Town's MUTC review board rejected the
project last November.

As of today there is no actual Special Permit application and therefore
nothing for MUTC or the Town Government to take a position on.  There are
no stated meeting dates, hearing dates, nothing beyond confirmation of what
MUTC members made fairly clear they expected--the owners/applicant will
likely try to get approval through the Special Permit process. Neither
MUTC, nor the Town Council can take any kind of position until the actual
application is made.  Under the Special Permit process the MNCPPC Planning
Board will have the final say on whether or not this application will be
approved.

By the way, if you wish to be a person of record and receive individual
mailed notifications of *all steps* in the process by registering online
for application # SP150003 at www.pgplanning.org or sending a written
request to 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772.

I've spoke with Councilman and MUTC member Ebbeler on this and he is going
to send a followup note that reviews the November decision and explain in
more detail the actual process that the owner/applicant will have to follow
in the Special Permit process. This way you will know what to expect in the
upcoming months as the process unfolds and how you can make sure your voice
is heard should you decide to weigh in.

Please know that the Town Government will work with the affected
neighborhood and residents of our town to resist any proposal even close to
the what was shot down by MUTC last fall.  There is of course due process
that all property owners and residents are entitled to and I will make
certain that occurs in all ways that fall under the Town's oversight.

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor