[RP TownTalk] Junior Rowing Opportunity

Douglas McElrath mcelrathd at msn.com
Thu Mar 5 19:46:10 UTC 2015

Hello Friends and Neighbors:

My rowing club in Bladensburg on the Anacostia River is looking for energetic Middle School and High School age students to try out the sport of rowing for free this weekend on Saturday and Sunday from 2:00 to 4:30. Washington
Rowing School based at the Bladensburg Waterfront Park is a small club with a big heart, lots of great
equipment, the best coaches. We row on the calmest water in the
Baltimore/Washington area to learn the sport. The WRS Junior Crew is club program (not affiliated with a high school),
composed of students from DC, Montgomery and Prince George’s County, and our mission is to make rowing Fun and Challenging as appropriate to each student’s age and skill level.

Absolutely no experience is necessary and kids can advance through the
program as their skills build and time permits. We row year round in
both big sweep boats (8’s and 4’s, each rower with one oar) and smaller
sculling boats (1x and 2x, each sculler with
two oars), train off-water in the winter and on bad weather days, so
that students get exposure to most of the options the sport has to
offer.

The Spring Season starts this weekend and runs until mid-May (so no
conflict with Adelphi swim team or end of school year stuff). This year
we are offering practice 4 days a week (2 weekend, 2 weekday) so that
students have more flexibility to pick two or come
to all four!

Please see http://www.washingtonrowingschool.com/classes_events.htm  for links to the online sign-up information or you can contact Cindy Cole at info at washingtingrowingschool.com about the Free Try-It-Out Sessions This Weekend!

Doug McElrath
Ravenswood Road