[RP TownTalk] Bostwick Festival & Bike Rally

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 31 16:27:58 UTC 2015

Hello and happy spring!
A quick reminder of Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.'s upcoming programs.
1) The Bostwick Heritage Festival returns this year with a slightly different emphasis. Less 1812, more history and arts. We have moved the program to Saturday May 2nd (to stop our conflict with the Riverdale Park Arts Festival on Sunday and to allow for the Rivers to Rockets Rally). We also have expanded our hours a bit from 10am to 4pm. We will still be at the Bostwick House in Bladensburg (3300 48th Street) and we are bringing back some of the really interesting items from the Battle program. That includes the Swordsmen program, the Blacksmith, and the 1800s children's games. We are also working on artists vendors, information tables, music, and even a couple of food trucks.  Another winner that we are bringing back is the trolley bus that will take folks around to the historic houses in Bladensburg. You will be able to get on the trolley, take a ride to the new monument, George Washington House, Magruder House, and Market Masters Store. Details are firming up and we will keep you posted. But please put Saturday, May 2nd, 10am - 4pm on your calendar and see you then!
2) Then on Sunday, May 3rd at 10am, the Rivers to Rockets Bike Rally will leave from Magruder Park in Hyattsville, take a loop around to Berwyn Heights and then begin heading south before coming back to Riverdale Park. We will all dismount and stop in at the Arts Festival that morning before riding back to Hyattsville and eating lunch. The registration will go live on April 1 at 11am on our website (www.marylandmilestones.org) and we hope you can come out. If you are worried about this being family friendly - no problem! Some of our riders are stronger than others, but we always make sure we have a leader with groups. Almost all of the program is on trail, except for a short piece on the quiet streets of Riverdale Park and Hyattsville.  We will probably have a Park Police or Park Ranger ride with us.  We also make sure you get something "swag" - tshirts, water bottle, or something else.
These two programs are the cornerstone of the Rivers to Rockets Weekends, a new program that Maryland Milestones is launching to showcase the fun and unique programs and sites we have here in the Heritage Area. Next year, look for more programs related to this theme.
If you have any questions, are interested in participating, or would like to sponsor some of these programs, please email me!
Aaron Marcavitchaaron at anacostiatrails.orgMaryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.