[RP TownTalk] Ways to help your local school

Dannielle Glaros dmglaros at gmail.com
Sat May 23 17:38:12 UTC 2015

Friends,

Yesterday, I had a chance to attend volunteer appreciation at Riverdale
Elementary.  The 2nd grade chorus did a fantastic series of songs (they
were impressive!) and I was reminded that many of you may not know of all
the great things happening at the school or ways you can help to school.
Just the week before their was an invention convention at the school where
kids shared their inventions and on Friday the Anacostia Watershed Society
did school plantings with the 4th grade class. This year, our art teacher,
local CP resident Liza Linder, is full-time at the school and it has been
wonderful to have more time for the kids to work with her.

A few of us will be having a PTA meeting on Tuesday morning at 8am, if you
haven't yet gotten involved or your child will just be starting this
upcoming school year, please come.  We will be exploring a lot of ideas for
next year.

Also, for those who do not have kids at the school, here are a few easy
things you can do to help support the school:

1.  New or gently used beige pants or shorts and navy blue or black polo
shirts any kid size.
2.  Gently used games-all ages---these are used for indoor recess.
3.  New or gently used (washed) stuffed animals.  The school gives a
stuffed animal and t-shirt to all kids who reach a certain number of books
read.
4. Items you think teachers would like: this could be supplies--glue sticks
and composition notebooks, but also national geographic or travel magazines
for instance where kids could read or cut our pictures for projects; misc.
items for a treasure/prize box; and/or art supplies.
5. Share your career--every May the school does a great Career Day, but
they are always looking for volunteers.  If you want to participate next
year, let me know and I will forward your info to the school counselor
6. Volunteer in the classroom--the school is always looking for people to
help out in the classroom
7. . books - new or gently used -- the teachers can use them in the
classroom or give to the kids to take home.
8. other?

All of the donations can go directly to the school and if you are
interested in helping in other ways, I would be more than happy to
facilitate.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Dannielle

--