[RP TownTalk] car break-in

Heather Cronk heather.cronk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:57:43 UTC 2015

Thanks for sharing this, Sarah, and I'm sorry to hear about the break-in --
that can feel like a real violation of personal safety, especially outside
of your house and in your neighborhood.

However, I do want to throw one caution out there.  Often the message to
"be on the lookout" or to "call the police right away" can be taken as
permission for folks to call the police about anyone walking in their
neighborhood who they don't recognize or, worse, who they don't believe
"belongs" in their neighborhood.  I'm not suggesting that this is what
Sarah meant.  But I've heard too many stories from friends about being
confronted by police when walking through a neighborhood simply because
they didn't "look" like they belong.

I value many things about living in Riverdale -- chiefly, that it is a
racially and economically diverse community.  I would hate for anyone
living in this community to feel threatened or policed for simply walking
through our neighborhoods.  So please do call the police if there is overt
violence taking place -- but calling the police about anything that looks
suspicious is a recipe for overpolicing and discrimination.

-Heather