[RP TownTalk] Grandparents' Day & Homeschool Family Day at Riversdale this week - plus lots more Fall Fun!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Fri Sep 11 20:22:37 UTC 2015

Hello, all!

I hope you are looking forward to a great weekend! Here at Riversdale, we're looking forward to some wonderful programming coming up in the next few weeks and would love to have you join us!

Looking for something to do on Sunday? Celebrate Grandparents' Day on the Sunday, September 13th, 12:15-3:15 pm when grandparents & other senior guests can enjoy a FREE tour per paid admission. Then, grandchildren can spend some time sharing stories with their families while creating a family tree to take home. Tours depart every half hour from 12:15 - 3:15 pm. The Calvert children growing up at Riversdale would have been familiar with some of the Belgian foods and traditions of their grandparents; be sure to take a peek in the dependency kitchen where the Kitchen Guild will be offering a FREE demonstration of Belgian-inspired cuisine.

Homeschool Family Day takes places this coming Thursday, September 17th, 10am - noon. Homeschoolers ages 5 & up are invited with their families for some hands-on fun! Participants will enjoy interactive stations throughout the historic house, including cooking in the open hearth kitchen, experiencing a 19th century schoolroom, creating a period toy, making period toiletries, and more! The cost is $8 per child & FREE for chaperones. Feel free to pack a picnic lunch to enjoy on the grounds after the program. The registration deadline has been extended until close of business on Monday, September 14.

October and the changing season includes many opportunities to "fall" into fun at Riversdale. Ever wanted to try your hand at archery or fencing? Or learn about 19th century punch recipes and gaming?  Why not join us for a Day of Diversions on Saturday, October 3? Step back in time while participating in a variety of popular Regency pastimes. $60 residents of Prince George's & Montgomery Counties & $72 for non-resident friends. Make it a full day at Riversdale and stay through the evening for our Masked Ball on the same day! Don your mask and Regency attire or black tie for an evening of guided dancing and light refreshments. $25 residents & $30 non-residents.  Those attending both programs can enjoy a discounted $22 rate for the Masked Ball. Register early as space is limited!

Keep your eyes peeled for events later in October, including Kids in the Kitchen (Oct 17), Chamber Music Society Concert (Oct 18), Classical Afternoon (Oct 25), and A Gothick Evening: Seven Deadly Sins (Oct 30).

If you'd like more info or to register for a program, call the office at 301.864.0420 or email riversdale at pgparks.com<mailto:riversdale at pgparks.com> and we'd be happy to help! In the meantime, be sure to check out our calendar of events http://issuu.com/pgparks/docs/riversdale_jul-dec_2015_flipbook__1 . We hope to see you soon!

Cheers,
Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com<mailto:Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com> / history.pgparks.com<http://history.pgparks.com/>
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498
Like us on Facebook!<http://www.facebook.com/riversdalemuseum> / Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=rx4axyiab&p=oi&m=1108931018481>