[RP TownTalk] Riverdale Park Farmers Market Weekly Highlights

James Coleman rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:12:51 UTC 2015

Today  : September 17, 2015  3 - 7PM

@: 6204 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD (next to Riverdale MARC station)

Get your corn (white?), yellow wax beans, leeks, hot peppers, tomatoes, sweet peppers, peaches, watermelon, new dug potatoes, squash, cantalopes?, winter squash, onions, apples, pastured meats, free range hen eggs (limited supply), fresh small batch roasted coffees and more while we enjoy the end of  Summer. Don't miss it!  Evening hours are fun at the market!   We look forward to seeing you Thursdays from 3 to 7pm at the Riverdale Park Town Center, rain or shine.

WEATHER: High 84 and 0% chance of rain this week.

Feature Farmers: We welcome back Cats Paw Organic Farm with their many tomato varieties, lettuce varieties and delicious baked goods. We are also congratulating Roy & RT's Kitchen & Garden for their entry into our regular lineup of veggie farmers. They have many unusual ethnic veggies and items that no other farmers will have.

Feature News:

Red Chimney Farm is back this week with their beautiful flowers!

Through the generous contributions from the Riverdale Park Town Council and the facilitation of the Maryland State Farmers Market Association, the Maryland Market Money program is up and running again. Our new match amount for the Outdoor season is up to $7 for each $7 spent at the market.

You won't see at market this week: Everyone is due back this week.

Groff's Content Farm does a super job of raising pastured meats. Pick out your favorite recipe and try some this weekend. They also have some delightful raw milk cheeses for your enjoyment.

Growers: Groff's Content Farm - Pastured meats & eggs, ECO City Farm, Musachio Produce; Cats Paw Organic Farm; Peachy Family Dairy; Roy & RT's Kitchen & Garden; Red Chimney Farm; Jack Creek Plants;  Blades Orchard's peach, pear and  apple season is upon us.

Tasty Treats: Geppetto Catering BBQ, El Taco Loco, The Verandah (Indian food),  Roy & RT's Kitchen & Garden (Great article this week from Edible DC - available at the market), Simple Pleasures Ice Cafe, Stone Hearth Bakery.

Speciality: Alaskawild Seafood's wild caught salmon, Zeke's Coffee of DC, Mystic Water Soap, A Little Pottery, Sweet Tease Bakery (Yes, they're back!)

Entertainers: Great music from Rodeo Motel

Kid fun: Good old sidewalk chalk!

Important Notices:

Food safety notice: Due to a preponderance of evidence and our county's health department regulations, dogs are no longer welcome at the farmers market. We regret the loss but hope that our dog owning customers will forgive us for this change.

Important note about parking: only parallel parking is allowed on Maryland Ave (the road that passes under East-West Highway) -- please do not park in any other manner.

Got ideas for improvements? Talk to or email Jim Coleman and share your thoughts!  We can do it: change begins in Riverdale Park!
Bring Your Own Bag!
We are also interested in making sure folks know about us on Yelp and Chowhound.
Shameless Promotion: Check us out on Twitter and Facebook!

Our favorite nationally known local food site, localharvest.org is always looking for more reviews of the market.

Send us your recipe with local ingredients and we'll put the best recipes in next week's newsletter and give you a $10 Fruits & Veggies gift certificate from the market!

Facebook is soliciting for reviews of our market. Please tell them what you love about our market! If there's something you dislike about our market, please tell me first so I can address it personally, rpkfarmmkt at gmail.com.    As one customer recently told us, "Riverdale Park is the fun market!" Each week we offer live music by award winning local artists, kids' entertainment, and a wide selection of fresh produce and specialty items sold directly by Maryland farmers. Held at our town center, 6404 Rhode Island Avenue, Riverdale Park, MD

Thanks, JC