[RP TownTalk] Question - homeless people

S Collins ugglywump at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 16:39:55 UTC 2015

  Might be a "dumb question" but was hoping someone could advise me - If I see someone who I presume to be homeless on the streets on a fairly regular basis, should I contact the police every time, or?  There's a middle-aged African/American woman that I see quite frequently very early in the morning, she seems to stay on the bus benches near the Rite Aid or the Wells Fargo Bank on Route 1.  Sometimes I've seen her in a little fold-up chair.  One time I saw her later in the morning, she seemed to be rather "out of it," for want of a better phrase, so I contacted the police and asked if they could see if she was ok (she insisted she was, but seemed rather incoherent).  I realize that the police/town can't force anyone to get off the streets or go into a shelter; on the other hand, I hate to see someone in that situation, esp. as cold weather will be here soon.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Sue Collins