[RP TownTalk] Five Ways Homeowners Can Cut Costs on Water Heating

Jessica Barnes jbarnes at riverdaleparkmd.gov
Fri Sep 25 16:18:15 UTC 2015

With fall weather underway and chilly temperatures ahead, we're going to be
using more and more hot water.  The U.S. Department of Energy found that
water heating accounts for about 18 percent of an average family's utility
bill. This makes water heating the second largest energy expense in your
home.

To help Maryland families prepare for the cold months, we've collected five
ways to help cut costs on your water heating bill.

Water Heating Tips

1.     Adjust the water heater thermostat to 120 degrees Fahrenheit (F) to
get comfortable hot water for most household uses. Every 10-degree F
reduction in the temperature can lower water heating costs up to 5 percent.

2.     Detect and repair leaky faucets right away. Replace old faucets with
WaterSense labeled low-flow faucets and shower heads, which can save the
average family 700 gallons of water annually.

3.     Insulate your water heater. Be careful not to cover the top, bottom,
thermostat or burner compartment of natural gas or oil hot-water storage
tanks. In addition, insulate the first 6 feet of hot and cold water pipes
connected to the water heater.

4.     Invest in a new energy-efficient water heater with the ENERGY STAR
label to save energy long-term. ENERGY STAR certified water heaters can use
50 percent less energy than equipment that meets the minimum federal
standard.

5.     Lastly, a no-cost strategy that we can all do is to use hot water
more efficiently. Reduce water consumption by taking shorter showers, using
cold water for most laundry loads or choosing shorter cycles on the
dishwasher.

Through DHCD's Be SMART Home Loan program, you can also learn how to get
innovative financing for energy efficiency upgrades to your home, which
includes hot water system improvements. Be SMART offers flexible financing
of up to $25,000 for eligible homeowners.

For more ways to save energy, visit the
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001jfaHmSIe-c0U8kHHMe-_0iCBy8TvSNo7oTlLB7t3r9ot
P7wzulSvWhLc8mqLhLQH9XS5D2Rl047tBsJIOsC_26miXs5hkZHt7xyvheHaTtITWEmkpA_UABIc
K8YVuCLl5cRJw6eexKOLxE7n7keIxSyiYFi-dZvKOns6T_mGVE94XvhDQyuW6382oxUQFv9O67XT
aX0qUIMQdvGcFOSZem1LFdRSUFDR8k6FbuhbwUlKqYecnefVCkk87ezUZBFl3FXWluahwosdUYQT
7OIvtz_FhQqe1mUBr0jxAT6-R-bbcAaWVpqUS7yCFFCJOEU1&c=Js8U-WG3FeFYD5e_w-Y8Hksck
3SvPET-Ede0i7MTcBsbVEIDtHOQgg==&ch=g7maWKGblTkV3aX6pcO_p6azY_iwqQ0y6XY_gob58
yAsz6CzZsCQVg==> U.S. Department of Energy's website.

We hope you apply these simple energy tips to your home. We'll regularly
share a new topic so don't forget to subscribe to our blog!

By  <mailto:samantha.lozano at maryland.gov> Samantha Lozano

Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development

 <http://www.dhcd.maryland.gov> http://www.dhcd.maryland.gov

Jessica

Jessica E. Barnes

Town Clerk