[RP TownTalk] Maryland Milestones Updates

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 18:13:32 UTC 2016

Hello Heritage Area Fans!

It has been too long since I last emailed about the workof Maryland Milestones/Anacostia Trails Heritage Area. We and our partners havebeen working on a variety of issues - mostly focused on bike infrastructure.Exciting changes are coming to the region and we are all working to make themhappen. I wanted to send a few updates which might be of interest to residents.

Rivers to Rockets Weekend

The Month of May (starting on the weekend of April 30 andending June 4) is our first "Rivers to Rockets Weekends"commemoration. That means our partners have lots of great events planned foryou. By visiting our newly redesigned website (www.marylandmilestones.org)andclicking on Rivers to Rockets Weekends, you can access a great calendar ofevents all which tie into our themes of history, art, and natural resources.Celebrate with us.

Rivers to Rockets Bike Rally

And the cornerstone of this set of events is our Riversto Rockets Bike Rally on May 7. Starting at 10am from Bladensburg WaterfrontPark, the ride will loop around the Anacostia Tributary Trails System includinga small diversion into University Park before returning to the Trolley Trail.Lunch and a "swag" item are included in the registration. A portionwill be put into our programs and activities. You can register on our website (www.marylandmilestones.org)

Heritage Center

You may have heard about the new Pyramid Atlantic ArtsCenter which is coming together in Hyattsville. As part of that project,Neighborhood Design Center and Maryland Milestones will be the other two largetenants.  We will have a "visitorscenter" style element right on Gallatin Street. We are raising funds nowto build out this project and we hope you might consider how you might be ableto help us. More details are on our website (www.marylandmilestones.org)

Mini-Grants

Finally, our mini-grant round has opened. Again, on ourwebsite you can find a submission form (www.marylandmilestones.org). Projectstend to be "seed" type projects or small matching projects. Wetypically only fund between $500 and $2000 per project.  Take a look at our goals and restrictions andemail me if you have questions.  We willaccept applications until May 13. Projects are generally awarded by the end ofJune.

If you haven't seen any of this info before, don't missout signing up for our weekly e-blast (available on our website). We would love to tell you all about allthe amazing things happening here in your Heritage Area.

Aaron

--------

Aaron Marcavitch, Executive Director

Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.

P.O. Box 367, Hyattsville, MD 20781

301-887-0777 (p)

301-887-1077 (f)

www.marylandmilestones.org

**Support Maryland Milestones with a contribution atGoFundMe**