[RP TownTalk] Not On Our Watch - updates, including more opportunities to sign the pledge

erika wilson erikawilson at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 6 17:24:55 UTC 2016

Thank you neighbors and friends!!!! A few weeks ago, on Sunday, November 20 over 200 people shivered together, braving the cold and wind, to stand as one community and pledge that bullying and hate will not happen on our watch!

Special thanks to our awesome speakers (Patrick Paschall, Rommel Sandino, Kevin Blackerby, Eric Fuller, Hena Zubari, Jeannette Soon-Ludes, Vernon Archer, and James Johnson) for taking the time to share their thoughts, feelings, and advice with us. Thanks also to Andrea Corrales for organizing the bake sale (we raised $524 for ACLU!) and to Teresa Thiemann for making the banner. Check out the Hyattsville Life & Times<https://www.facebook.com/HyattsvilleLife/> story about the Not On Our Watch event.

And a huge thanks to all of you who attended this event. As Margaret Mead once said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

Since the event, many of you have asked us about what's next. We love that you all are so motivated to keep pushing on this important issue and we definitely want to keep the momentum going. So I am excited to share a few updates with you.

  1.  We have launched a Facebook page "Not On Our Watch" where we will continue the conversation, organize events and plan future action. Please "like" this page, "follow" us, add us to your favorites, and check back often for more opportunities to show that Hyattsville, Riverdale Park, Mt. Rainier, University Park and other communities along Route 1 in PG County will not remain silent in the face of racism, xenophobia, misogyny, anti-Semitism, homophobia, Islamophobia, etc.
Not on our Watch | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/notonourwatchhq/>
www.facebook.com
Not on our Watch. 135 likes · 132 talking about this. This page is dedicated to those who are vulnerable to bullying and acts of hate and those who stand...

  2.  We realize that many of you are not on Facebook so we will continue to communicate with people on the Riverdale, Hyattsville, Mt. Rainier and UP list servs. Keep an eye out for additional information. And let me know if you have ideas on other ways we can keep people informed.
  3.  We are also looking for opportunities to allow those who couldn't attend the 11/20 event to sign the pledge banner.  We will bring the pledge banner to this Thursday's Riverdale Park Farmer's Market from 6-7 pm (and for the next few Thursdays, as well) to allow more community members to sign the pledge.  If you haven't signed it yet, please stop by!
  4.  We are working on a plan to showcase the banner publicly and to potentially use it at future events. On November 21, we presented the banner to the Hyattsville Town Council during their televised meeting and will present the banner to the Riverdale Park Town Council during their next televised meeting on January 3. Please contact me directly if you have ideas of where we could present the banner or  events where we could offer people additional opportunities to sign it.

Thanks for your interest and support!

Erika Wilson