[RP TownTalk] Parenting children to believe that #BlackLivesMatter

Heather Cronk heather.cronk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 11:57:21 UTC 2016

After this week's brutal news about the murders of Black men by
police, the release of video of those murders, and the subsequent murders
of police officers at a rally in Dallas, I've been doing a lot of reading,
a lot of checking in on Black friends, and a lot of talking with fellow
white folks.

Given that our community in Riverdale is racially diverse and growing more
so by the month, I felt that it was important to open up a conversation
here about ways that we -- as neighbors, friends, and folks hugely
influential on the lives of the kids in our town -- can respond. I hope
that these conversations are happening in our local schools, as well.

One article has jumped out as particularly helpful among white friends of
mine who are parents:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/10895690

I realize that opening up a conversation about race over a listserv is
complicated -- and I'm very open to ideas that folks might have about ways
to continue this conversation offline if there is interest. Despite the
complexity of this conversation, I also wanted to make sure that a) folks
of color in this community hear that their lives and their family's
lives matter, b) white folks in this community hear an invitation to
dialogue and at least one very concrete tool in having this conversation
with their kids, and c) all of us take a few minutes to think intentionally
about what kind of community we want to take an active role in creating.

If there are any white neighbors who are interested in getting together
offline to have a conversation about how we're actively working together to
ensure that this community is one of justice, dignity, and respect, I'd be
very happy to convene that discussion. Please feel free to respond either
on-list or off-list (heather.cronk at gmail.com) and I'd be happy to organize
a get-together...

And to our neighbors of color -- especially our Black neighbors -- we see
you, we love you, and we will do everything we can to ensure that this
community is a safe haven for you and your children.

-Heather