[RP TownTalk] Community Challenge: Learn to Row in August at Bladensburg Waterfront Park

Kate Kelly mrs.ahkelly at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:20:31 UTC 2016

Hello, everyone. This note came to me yesterday from Cindy Cole of the
Washington Rowing School. If you'd like more information about rowing or
this event, please feel free to get in touch with me. Hope to see you there.

Been itching to try rowing one of those big boats? Read "The Boys in the
Boat" and thought that sounded pretty neat? Or just looking for something
different to do this August? Come join our Community Challenge and learn to
row!

>From July 30 through August 27 we'll be teaching folks to row and forming
crews. We like each crew to have a "theme" such as a neighborhood, social
group, club, or work group. So bring your own group or come and we'll put
you in one.

All our rowing is out of Bladensburg Waterfront Park.

On August 27, 8:00 a.m. to noon, we'll have our grand finale competition,
the Bladensburg Races, for community bragging rights.

Here are some more details:

   - *No experience necessary*, all experience levels welcome.
   - This will be a sweep 8 boat, one oar per person.
   - Adults and youth at least 12 years old are welcome.
   - Row in as many practices as you would like between now and August 27th.
   - Open practices are Tuesday and Thursday mornings 5:30 to 7:30 a.m.,
   Saturday and Sunday mornings 10:00 a.m. to noon.
   - Your crew can also make a practice schedule--weekdays, weekends,
   whenever all agree to show up.
   - Everyone doesn't have to show up to all practices. We can borrow
   rowers from other crews to fill practice boats.
   - One special position is Coxswain for each crew. This person at a
   minimum steers the boat and keeps the crew out of trouble. They can also
   direct and inform the crew and exhort them to greater effort. It's very
   important!
   - Each practice will involve learning basic terminology, skills
   building, and steady rowing. Our first goal is to learn how to move
   together.
   - The race is 1000 meters…about 4 minutes….how hard can it be?!
   - We have five coaches eager to help your crew go fast!
   - Sports gear is simple: fitted shorts and jerseys, socks, sneakers, and
   your smile!
   - The regatta will start in the morning on August 27 and we will plan a
   pot-luck picnic after.
   - $90 each for equipment use.
   - Sign-up and pay on-line under the *Programs & Classes bar. Look for
   Community Challenge*: https://www.regattacentral.com/clubs/?org_id=3742

Come get started next weekend if you can. We are looking forward to it!

Cindy Cole
www.washingtonrowingschool.com
202-344-0886