[RP TownTalk] Fwd: question about town center clock.

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 11:42:06 UTC 2016

Bob,

After an initial investigation I can deduce that the Town Center clock's chimes have been off for approximately 6 years. As near as I can reconstruct the events, it happened at a confluence of two factors: one) was we received a number of complaints about the clock chimes, especially ringing at night and on weekends; two) the clock itself had a series of ongoing malfunctions and its manufacturer had gone out of business.

For almost a year there were frequent clock malfunctions with it often not being at the correct time.  Obviously during that time we did not want the chime to ring--at the wrong time-- and some of the malfunctions were with the chime itself.

After we found a new source of service and were able to get the clock to perform its primary function of telling time accurately and dependably the chime was not turned back on--IF the malfunction in the chime itself was actually corrected.

I cannot find clear evidence of there being a specific council or administrative decision to not repair or turn on the chime, but at the moment vacations and other priorities mean a thorough review won't happen right now. I'm not sure that it is even of much importance when you consider that it has been six years since anyone noticed even to the point of asking a question about it.

Also, throughout this entire time council policy has clearly been to quiet down the town center area.  I for one would consider it odd if we were to now turn on a loud chime after having expended many thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of staff/council time to get a quiet zone at Town Center.

Clearly no decision, much less a possible "non-decision", has to be forever. Should the council wish to reconsider the current state of relative quiet at town center, the administration will of course work diligently to implement council directive.

Best wishes,

Vern

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor