[RP TownTalk] Decorum

Al Spain alisonspain at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:11:03 UTC 2016

Re: Decorum Efficacy

Mr. Ebbeler -

You mischaracterize my post.  At no point did I tell you to shut up and go
away, nor to not address issues you deem important.  Indeed, I encouraged
you to raise awareness and address your concerns in other venues.   Many
have suggested that the Town Council meetings are where this should happen,
for good reason.  As you have stated, many residents share your concerns.
Surely one of them would be willing to work with you and attend Council
meetings to put them on the record.

As someone who has limited time for civic engagement -- I can only write
this post because it's naptime, meanwhile, dishes and laundry and dinner
await -- I write to tell you that your posts are having the opposite impact
that you intend on this particular reader.  Where I once was concerned, the
length, frequency, and tenor of your missives in this one forum only
provoke discouragement and a desire to look away from the wreckage.  As Mr.
Archer refuses to play your game on this forum, what is your end goal?  To
inspire others to take up the pitchforks on your behalf while you write
emails from out-of-state?

You condescend to many of us who are civically engaged in our community and
town life, albeit differently than you.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
time to sit on the computer and parse through your emails, but I can pick
up trash at the playground while my kid plays and make sure that the mulch
gets replaced. I don't have childcare to get to 7pm meetings, but I can
talk to my neighbor and find out what happened and make sure her dog gets
let out.

It was refreshing to have Councilwoman Dixon walking Ward 1 and meeting
neighbors in the park and on our stoops.  It gave me a sense of optimism
and a desire to participate more in civic life.

To reiterate, my issue is not with your concerns.  I never defended the
Mayor or the Council.  Your dominance of the bandwidth and use of the list
serve as your own personal bully pulpit, as well as the overwhelming aura
of sour grapes and aggrieved victimhood (the Statue of Liberty is surely
weeping that someone asked you to tone it down), have lost me.  It is hard
for me to hear you. I'd rather pick up candy wrappers at the playground.

Alison Spain

I am using the tools I have.  The very interesting thing is I am
staring at the Statue of Liberty as I write this and reminded that
many people have died and continue to die to protect democracy as we
know it.  Freedom to state opinions, no matter how uncomfortable, is
part of that bedrock.

And again, I challenge you and the others trying to tell me to go
away,  to instead debate the facts I brought up if you feel the need
to defend the Mayor and Council.  Or ask them to.

I catch them acting in direct violation of the law and the response I
am given is ‘shut up and go away.’  How is that acceptable?  Every
elected official takes an oath of office to act within the law without
partiality or prejudice and when caught red handed violating that oath
instead of holding them accountable the whistleblower is attacked.

Part of the social contract in a democracy is that the public hold
elected officials accountable for actions and misdeeds.
JWE