[RP TownTalk] Attendance at Council Meetings

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Fri Mar 4 23:36:08 UTC 2016

Oh Vernon you are so misinformed.  It's called due process.  It's not a theory - it's a constitutional right - something you took an oath of office to uphold.

You have to have an absence policy in place which defines excused vs unexcused, which we do not have, prior to defining an absence as unexcused. Otherwise any interpretation of excused vs unexcused cannot be adequately determined and exposes the town to legal action (which you are doing now). Council could have taken the matter up meeting by meeting and made a determination (still precarious but has some case law foundation) but they did not.  This would have also provided some notification prior to your "gotcha" moment. Additionally, consistency of policy has to be adhered to which throughout your tenure has not been followed.

At what point in time did you ever bring this up as a potential issue or make appropriate notifications prior to me asking you last Saturday to do your job and act on the Jeys Auto ordinance passed three years ago?  I appreciate that it's on the agenda now but I shouldn't have to beg you to do your job and tend to things that should have happened at least a year ago.  And I am going to guess that you are going to recommend now we not pursue the property so we can continue to build a town hall expansion despite our town administrator losing a 500k grant by forgetting to use the money and despite the final price tag being more than our yearly budget. By delaying action you cost the taxpayers money. By not looking at alternatives like renting the 2nd floor of town center you ensure future tax raises that could avoid a 90+ year break even.

It seems an odd play on your part to want taxpayers to pay for the cost of two special elections vs one of you were in fact "keeping your peace". It would have made much more sense for there to be a single election unless  taxpayer money is just something to be wasted.

Regardless of missed meetings due to out of state work obligations, I still meet regularly with the development community and do my job. I am still bringing in another business into town center that will be welcomed with open arms and occupy most of the 1st floor.

 It's a shame there is more of a focus on a political vendetta than the crumbling infrastructure.  If the town spent half the time and money that has been devoted to this nonsense maybe our bridges and stormwater management would be in better shape.  We have plenty of issues in town and spending even a dollar on this kind of nonsense is criminal.

I have no issue adjudicating this Vern and have retained legal counsel to ensure my constitutional rights are protected.  You should have kept your promise and only served two terms. You sir have lost any moral and ethical ability to serve the public as mayor.

You spent over 10k last June in your failed attempt to refuse to swear me in. How much of the taxpayer money are you going to spend this time?

Jonathan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler
Councilman, Ward 1