[RP TownTalk] Change in Government

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 21:50:11 UTC 2016

Hi Bob,

A couple of thoughts I wanted to make sure to follow up on.

(1) If the town residents do not support this legislation, it's important
to remember that the council can withdraw it. It is a proposal - and as
with any proposal, now that we know what the proposal is, it's open for
debate. If it turns out to be a bad idea, it won't become law.

(2) I am wondering if I misunderstood your request for a "plan". If the
proposed legislation itself (and I only excerpted 1 page from the 12 pages
of legislation, so it's a very detailed proposal) isn't what you were
referring to, I'm hoping you'll be able to help us understand what you mean
by "plan".

-Sarah

p.s. Audrey - I looked on the town's website for information about salaries
and couldn't find it. I don't know the laws about revealing that kind of
information. I know that the salaries of employees of the State of Maryland
are public, but I don't know what the law says about municipalities.
Hopefully our elected officials can educate us.

p.p.s. There is nothing in the legislation that mandates the Town Manager
hire anyone else. The position of Town Administrator would be eliminated,
and the Town Manager position would be created. Because there are more
responsibilities and requirements associated with the Town Manager
position, the person in that position would command a higher salary. I'm
pretty sure (though he'll need to confirm this himself) that the 10%
increase reflects that higher salary.

p.p.p.s. I LOVE the idea of a town meeting to discuss all these issues with
all the relevant and interested parties together in one room!