[RP TownTalk] Change in Government

Jonathan Ebbeler jebbeler at efusionconsulting.com
Wed Mar 9 23:25:25 UTC 2016

Andre -

That is part of the problem.  The Pro/Con discussion is a qualitative one.  In a perfect world and with the right people both forms of government, Council-Manager  and Mayor-Council can work and run efficiently.  With the wrong people it doesn't matter what form of government the town takes.  A primary consideration comes down to whether the town wants or desires executive authority to be in someone directly accountable to the voters or someone appointed by the Council.

This is not a new or novel question and I found this guide that Salisbury, MD put together in their 2000 Referendum Vote on the exact question:

https://www.salisbury.edu/pace/publications/Newsletters/PACE%20Mayor%20Council%20vs%20Council%20Mayor.pdf

The important thing to note is that there is no 'right' answer to this.  But certainly questions like 'what will this cost?' and 'why are we considering this?' should be fleshed out.  I don't have the answers to either question but suffice it to say there will be a cost - the town is transferring duties and responsibilities over to paid employees unlikely to have a vested interest in the town vs. entrusting certain duties and responsibilities in an elected official accountable to voters.

Respectfully,

Jonathan

Jonathan W. Ebbeler
Chair, Economic Development Committee