[RP TownTalk] T-Ball or Softball Organized Teams

erika wilson erikawilson at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:35:49 UTC 2016

I have looked into this extensively and it really depends on what time of year you are looking to play and what sort of experience you want.
As of last year, most of the opportunities around here were clinics focused on skill development. They did not play games with other teams. Unfortunately, they were also chronically under-registered. We signed up for several of the local t-ball classes through the winter and spring but all were cancelled due to low turnout. Furthermore, last year both the Berwyn Heights and Greenbelt boys and girls clubs did not sponsor t-ball/baseball teams b/c of a lack of coaches and interested kids.
Last summer our 5-year old played in the Takoma Park T-ball league (for rising K through 1st). It was excellent. The coaches were great, it was very well run, and he had a great time. He plans to play again this year. Practices and games are on Saturday morning (9-9:30 practice, 9:30-10:30 game for example) in Takoma Park. While most of the kids are from TP and its a bit of a haul to get to the games, there were lots of Riverdale, Hyattsville, and UP families who participated and my son was on a team with several PG County kids. I definitely recommend it. Warning: the league has a very limited number of slots and is extremely popular and fills up fast so make sure you know when to sign up. For more info: http://www.takomaparkmd.gov/recreation/youth. Contact Bradley: Bradleyw at takomagov.org.
I recently found out about a spring league of coach pitch softball for 6 year olds through a Takoma Park Silver Spring league. Looks like they have other opportunities for older kids: http://www.tpssbaseball.org/Default.aspx?tabid=169246. I do not have experience with this league but know a family who did this last year and they recommend it.
Feel free to contact me if you have more questions.-Erika