[RP TownTalk] TownTalk Digest, Vol 118, Issue 4

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:03:24 UTC 2016

It is wonderful to see people stepping up to discuss this important issue,
but the town council put to a final vote Monday evening the question of
whether we should transition to a council-manager form of government at
that meeting. It is now law.

The time to discuss this was the period of time between when CM Thompson
first proposed it, in February, and when the final vote was taken on May
2nd. There was a lot of discussion - here on TownTalk, in private
conversations with citizens, and at the numerous (8, if I count correctly)
public meetings between when the issue was first raised and the final vote
was taken. Many amendments were made to the original proposal in response
to that discussion to address the issues that were raised.

If the citizens wish the council to reconsider their decision, you can
absolutely lobby them to do so. But starting July 1st, Riverdale Park will
operate under the new form of government.

This shift in management was NOT a roundabout way of firing our Town
Administrator. Under the previous form of government, if Mayor Archer
didn't want to renew Town Administrator Imhulse's contract (which is up at
the end of this year), he had the authority to do that without consulting
the rest of the council. And it's my understanding that Town Administrator
Imhulse is absolutely welcome to apply for the job of Town Manager if it's
a job she wants.

Michael Herman proposed this same shift when he was mayor many years back.
One of the most important aspects of it (in my mind) is that we have
someone overseeing the town's operations who is specifically trained to do
so. There is no guarantee that future elected officials will have any
relevant experience.

-Sarah